Saturday, May 31, 2008

Grinding - Days 14 - 18

Just as I'm starting to find my groove the World Series of Poker rolls into town. Now I don't have any aspirations of playing any WSOP events this year but I can still hear the siren song and cannot resist heading down to the Rio to watch. While this is great fun and can be a bit of learning experience if you are able to watch a particular table for long enough or follow a favorite player around for a day to watch how he handles himself, it doesn't do much to put money in my billfold.

Finally getting around to post the results of 4 days worth of play my mind is blank trying to think back to all the hands I played, all the beats I took, and the lucky rivers I caught to suck out. Overall, I feel like I am steadily improving. Things I am doing better are timely bluffing when I sense weakness, and continued betting when Im not quite sure where I'm at. After all, when you bet or raise there are two ways to win, when you call you must show down the best hand.

Other than that, the grind is starting to become just that. I work my ass off for session only to take some beats right before I leave and then I have nothing to show for my time at the table. Hey, at least recently they've still been wins and not losses. Like I always say, it much easier to report back to the missus and inform her that I had an inconsequential win rather than an inconsequential loss. Somehow, the losses aren't ever inconsequential.

The month of May is in the books and I posted a postive $240 increase to the bankroll. I'm actually really happy with that figure believe it or not since I pissed away a little less than that much in the Sunset Station version of $4/$8 before feeling out GVR and deciding it was the game for me. I've also learned that the mid-day game at GVR allows for me to play a much more confident game than does the evening game. At night, the opponents are looser and more aggressive (and many times drunk or on the verge.) With a bigger bankroll, this will be a better investment of my time as I will show a greater profit over the long haul, but for now I like the safety and comfort of the old farts during the day. they never check-raise me; they rarely raise me with clearly the best hand when they have position and I donk it into them. yet, they still continuely call me down with their weaker holdings. I get to be the bully during the day while at night I sometimes get my lunch money stolen from me. Hopefully June will provide a lot of good results for me. I'm off to a decent start but still yearn to put in more hours. The game didn't get going to 1:15 pm today which only gives me 2 - 3 hours (depending on how hungry I get) to make my money for the day. that turns out to be a lot of pressure.

Fun facts for my play at GVR for the month of May:
total sessions played:
Win/Loss:7/1 (87.5% winning percentage)
Total hours played: 19
Hourly Win Rate: $23.18/hr
Total Win: $442

It's so easy to provide stats that make you feel good. But feeling good usually translates into playin well. You can check out the daily numbers for the past 4 playing days below:

(5/27)
Hours Played this session: 3.25
Gave: $32
$ Per Hour: -$9.95

Earn:
Month to Date: $54
Year to Date: $54
Hourly Rate Year to Date: $1.12
Total Bankroll: $671

(5/29)
Hours Played this session: 2
Take: $84
$ Per Hour: $42

Earn: Month to Date: $138
Year to Date: $138
Hourly Rate Year to Date: $2.74
Total Bankroll: $755

(5/30)
Hours Played this session: 1.75
Take: $102
$ Per Hour: $58.29
Earn:
Month to Date: $240
Year to Date: $240
Hourly Rate Year to Date: $4.61
Total Bankroll: $857
(6/1)
Hours Played This Session: 2.33
Take: $126
$ Per Hour: $54.08
Earn:
Month to Date: $126
Year to Date: $366
Hourly Rate Year to Date: $6.73
Total Bankroll: $983
(6/2)
Hours Played This Session: 2
Take: $19
$ Per Hour: $9.50

Earn:
Month to Date: $145
Year to Date: $385
Hourly Rate Year to Date: $6.83
Total Bankroll: $1,002

No comments: